Prev: Re: small powers Next: re: Re: Dirtside 2 question

Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:58:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS2] Complex 15 Assault: AAR (long)

--- Noel Weer <noel.weer@verizon.net> wrote:
> This was the first serious playtest of a scenario I
> am working on.
> Force
> =====
> 33rd Armored Company
> 2 armor platoons (B2, O3), each with:
> ** 4 T-BT-8b "Cavalier" type MBT (class 3, slow GEV,
> DFFGx5)
> 2 armor platoons (O2, B1), each with:
> ** 4 T-CL-2 "Claymore" type MBT (class 3, fast GEV,
> HELx5)

Hrkl?  If you're going in against a predominately
infantry force, you need some PDS.

>We decided that the facility was too close to the
>Western map edge. The reinforcements for the defense
>should have had to advance under fire rather than
>reach the facility for attacks almost immediately.

As a side note, a "logical" map edge would help--a
significant terrain feature that restricts movement
and LOS.

>The attackers had no air defense - LAD or ADS. This
>proved to be serious flaw in the raider force
>structure.

That, and no counterbattery assets.  But then, I'm
heavily into the Deep Battle concept.  Attackers
should also have had some fire support--say 4-6 guns
with a 25/25/50% HEF/MAK/SMK loadout.  The smoke is to
cover their withdrawl in face of superior firepower.
Also, sounds like they weren't briefed on the chance
of Red Air.  Otherwise they wouldn't have bunched up
like that.

>Some of the players wished that the initial orbital
>salvo would not have guaranteed the outpost died.
>They were willing to waive the issue of interface
>landers coming in close to enemy positions for a cool
>fire fight.

Yeah.  Right up until they had to actually do it.  I
don't like attacking a defensive position with no fire
support.

It also doesn't sound like your defender used his
opportunity fire options has heavily as he could have.
 It's something all my opponents hate.

Another option you might incorporate would be a couple
of sensor stations.  If they are not neutralized by
initial artillery barrage by attacker, then the
defenders don't have to worry about radio messages or
anything like that, they see the enemy coming.	This
allows you to keep the orbital bombardment option
without allowing the attacker to destroy the facility
on the first turn.  Make him use those rounds on some
other high-value immobile target.

John

Find a job, post your resume.

Prev: Re: small powers Next: re: Re: Dirtside 2 question