Prev: Re: [OT] Storing Minis Next: Re: OUDF design Qs

Re: FT Fighters Intercepting Missiles

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:22:13 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Fighters Intercepting Missiles

Iain Davidson wrote:

>It appears that fighters can intercept salvo missiles, MT missiles,
SMBs,

Uh... what is an "SMB"?

>and Plasma Bolts after their primary movement, and then again after a
>secondary movement (FB1 page 6 "Interception of Missiles by Fighters")
and
>then again in the Ordnance/Fighter resolution phase (FB2 page 5 "Point
>Defence Fire").  would I be correct in assuming that I have
misinterpreted
>the rules,

Yes

>and in fact there should only be 2 fighter/ordnance intercept chances
>after primary & secondary movement?

No.

Fighters only ever shoot *once* in any given turn, either in phase 7 (if

they're shooting at missiles/plasma bolts/other fighters) or phase 8 (if

they're shooting at ships), or occasionally in phases 3 or 6 in the case
of
a target trying to leave a dogfight.

However, the term "intercept" doesn't necessarily mean "to shoot down
before the target inflicts harm on something else" - it can also mean
something like "catch" or "move close enough to something to do
something
to it". In this case, the fighters can move into firing range of the
target
("intercept the target") in either fighter movement phase* - but the
shooting isn't resolved until later.

*OK, SMs and PBs are launched after fighter primary movement, so unless
they're launched at a point within the fighters' firing range the
fighters
have to intercept them using their secondary movement.

>Do fighters under vector movement have a 3" range rather than 6" ?

Not under the written rules, but it seems to be a common house rule. It
is
certainly logical.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [OT] Storing Minis Next: Re: OUDF design Qs