Prev: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word) Next: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word)

[WotW] Minefields

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:41:07 +1100
Subject: [WotW] Minefields

On Thursday, November 08, 2001 10:54 AM, aebrain@austarmetro.com.au
wrote:
> Mines.
>
> The Mine and Minesweeping rules could do with a once-over for FT3.
>
> Suggest that the MT rules be followed (ie 3" trigger range) , except
that
instead of a 1-shot Class-2, make it one of:
> a) A Plasma Ball strength 1
> b) An MT missile
>
> or at double cost
>
> c) An SM missile
> d) A Plasma Ball strength 2
^^^^^

Minefields:  All mines in a field must be of the same type and must be
separated by more than the trigger range.  The trigger range for mines
is
the same as for fighter/missile attacks (6mu for cinematic / 3-4mu for
vector).  Any ship that ends within the trigger range, or moves through
the
trigger range is attacked by the mine.

Minelaying:  No thrust can be applied while laying mines.  Each
minelaying
system can lay 1 mine per turn, at any point of movement.

Minesweeping:  Each minesweeping system gives a chance of disabling a
mine
before it explodes.  Roll 1d6 for each system operating; 1: mine
detonates
as normal, 2-3: mine not cleared, but doesn't detonate, 4-6: mine
cleared.

Mine types: (in order of lethality)
All mines are Mass:1, variable cost by type.  All standard rules apply
(range is the closest point of movement for damage purposes).

Beam Mine (cost: 3):  A one shot class-2 beam.
Subpac Mine (cost: 3): A one shot submunition pack.
Capship Mine (cost: 6): A single MT missile attacks (nuclear, needle or
emp), PDS applies.
Salvo Mine (cost: 12): A single Salvo Missile barrage attacks (1d6
missiles), PDS applies.
Plasma Mine (cost: 15): A single Plasmabolt-1 detonates, PDS applies.

*****
Chasing down a minelayer that is fleeing can be a risky thing, as it can
be
spitting out some nasty mines every turn at a much reduced mass compared
the usual weapon.  I certainly wouldn't want to attempt to clear a Salvo
or
Plasma field without at least 3 Minesweeping systems on my ship.

My favorite is definately subpacs; cheap, 3 die ignoring screens, with
re-rolls.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/

Prev: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word) Next: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word)