Prev: RE: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers) Next: Re: Prospective Novice

Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

From: "Jerry Acord" <acord@i...>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:49:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

> > Been awhile since I did any astronomy, but I thought desirable
> > stars were close to G0; likewise, I thought the 'M-class'
> > designation was a Trek thing for a planet, not a star.
>
> My equally hazy memory agrees with yours.  M-sequence stars are more
of
the
> red giant type I believe.

Stellar spectral type "M" means a star is red/cool.  It could be a giant
or
a dwarf.  Spectral type refers to temperature, not to size.

If you're talking about a Star Trek "class M" planet, that's something
like
"hospitable to humanoid life" or something like that.

-- Jerry Acord
   acord@imagiware.com

Prev: RE: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers) Next: Re: Prospective Novice