Prev: Re: Chosroes and Co Next: RE: Powers That Be

FT.... my 0.02

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 03:49:51 -0500
Subject: FT.... my 0.02

Or 0.04, if you know how I tend to ramble.

But it's Canadian, so that's aboout 0.02 "real
money" .....

FT for my money is an easy to learn, fast to
play game. This is both virtue and drawback.
Too many (most) of the FT games I've played in
have resembled massed end-end cavalry
charges. Jousting with lasers. Not a _lot_ of
tactics in them. FT doesn't have the fine
granularity of tactical decision present in SFB or
in a number of other single-ship focused (yes,
people played SFB with 3000 BPV fleets - me
too - but it shone with single ship
engagements, something that FT kinda sucks
for) games. FT has a pretty decent (as of FB)
point system for most things (some aliens
notwithstanding in FB2). But if you enjoy the
tactical complexities and decision of ground
warfare, playing on the black mat of space
where no one can hide or take cover gets kinda
dull. Yes, before anyone rants on, this can be
fixed with cool scenario planning. But all too
often people either don't bother or don't know
enough. FT is a tinkerer's dream (as, to an
extent, is DS2). But it isn't (in its raw fleet on
fleet format) the most tactically interesting
game.

SG2, on the other hand, tends to (even with
platoon on platoon clashes) offer more tactical
options due to the command transfer
mechanics, due to the range of weapons in the
game, and due to the terrain factors which
really really change how a battle is fought.
Although its downfall is (to some) that it has no
points system and can be a bear for newbies to
balance scenarios with. Of course, list-advice
can ameliorate that evil. I _like_ the lack of a
points system - it tends to force you to think in
terms of "what makes sense in this situation?"
rather than "what can I do to spend those
remaining 32 points?".

And, I have to HEARTILY disagree with Mr.
Engineer (Stay on the ground pal! Your MOS
isn't space qualified yet....). He claims that
vector is hard.... quite frankly I find the basic
cinematic damn near impossible to navigate
successfully. In vector, I always know pretty
much where I'll end up and where the enemy
could end up (the locus of possible locations).
Can't seem to manage the same in cinematic...
makes the game far too unpredictable (in that I
have usually no idea where _MY_ fleet will end
up, let alone his). Of course, in point of fact,
some people may point out this may address
part of my tactics comment earlier - vector
allows more rotation, so getting flanked takes
poor choices or a damn good opponent. In
cinematic, this is much easier to achieve. out of
arc experiences are more common. OTOH, I'm
not really interested in the complexity being
"where does my ship end up" but rather in "why
would I want it to end up there". So I still think
FT is weaker than SG. (Faster to setup and
cleanup, and fun with a good scenario, albeit).

So, vector or cinematic - how easy or hard you
find it has a lot to do with how your brain
works. I taught (in one game) a bunch of
history majors (can't do real math to save their
behinds) vector, and they refuse to play
cinematic anymore. So it can't be _that_ hard...

<Maybe the drift + limited manouvre might
overtake an Engineer brain though eh John?
*wink* -- since it only knows things like how
much C4 to put in the sarcastic listers' Lazy-boy
to give him a good *bang*!>

Heh. And as for your comments about why
there are so many Scots split offs - someone
beat me to the comment about all Scots
colonies being splinters. But the other truth is
that deep down, everyone who has even a bit
of Scots or Irish in their blood is proud of it and
wants (a bit) to be there in the Glens. So the
Keltoi-offshoot colonies basically reflect that
natural desire. I mean, you don't see many split
of English colonies now do you? :)

And your idea of Basques ain't bad, but I'm
already harvesting them, the Quebecois, some
French coastal fishermen, and a few French
Colonials to populate the canon-mentioned but
little detailed NFR (New French Republic) - built
in separatist tendencies! Vive La Republic
Nouvelle de La Francaise! (Pardon my
execrable Franglish).

End Ramble.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: Chosroes and Co Next: RE: Powers That Be