Prev: RE: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Des ign Philosophies Next: Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies

Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:34:38 -0600
Subject: Re: DS/FT/SG: Tuffleyverse Cannon & Personal Stratrgy/Tactics/Design Philosophies

Whoa, Brian, I think something got crossed. Or, you haven't been around
as
long as I'd thought.

The discussions of canon are certainly meant to try and maintain the
balance that at least seems available in the fleets, as well as being a
fun
place to invite folks to play, but there have been plenty of discussions
of
home grown. Often, we seem to try and shoehorn our private worlds into
the
framework, but a great many are plain silly stuck together, and some
plenty
silly stuck into Jon's. Ok, a lot are just plain silly.

You HAVE heard of Dean's marvelous cross-genre con games, with
Battlestar
Galactic fighting the Palpatine Empire fighting Star Fleet fighting...,
and
seen plenty of discussions of picking up this model or that to portray
something REALLY off the wall.

The thing with DSII is that it's probably had the least discussion of
ANY
background, whether canon or not. It seems from this vac-head's point of
view, 90% of all the talk has been completely generic.

The only reasons you may see few examples of homegrown, and that's a
very
relative use of the term 'few', would laziness on the part of the
dilettantes such as me, and fear by the rest of the ruthless analytic
calculations of Oerjan... ;->=

In setting up tournaments, canon fleets are great for nice balance for
relatively unexperienced players, but no-holds barred can work, as long
as
everyone knows which if any of the unbalancing factors hold sway.

OHMYGOODNESS, I've NEVER seen Beth suggest Daleks are canon!