Prev: My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak Next: Re: SG2 close combat cover shifts

My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:49:57 +0100 (BST)
Subject: My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:27:58 -0500 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> Anorak being a sort of kit for UK wargamers...
> ***

> My impression was that it was kit for any 'geek'; a species of
wargamer identifiable as a geek by his fellow gamers is a terrifying
concept, indeed! <

Not just 'geeks' -- if my understanding of _that_ term is correct! --
but for almost anyone who has a hobby that "normal" people think is
odd. The original "anoraks" were train- and plane-spotters, who needed
the garment when they stood ouside in bad weather for long periods,
waiting for something to go by/take off/land. Since then, the term has
spread to anybody with "weird" interests.

> I gather it's especially associated for the tree-hugger(I'm one),
disarmament, and anti-fox hunting folk. <

Not particularly, though such people do tend to wear them (quite
sensibly) and so leave themselves open to the "charge", but the term is
equally applied to people who might be considered as "tree-huggers'"
worst enemies! It's a matter of whether so-called normal people think
you're doing something peculiar or not.

I find it... interesting that people who wear weatherproof garments to
such outdoor pursuits as soccer matches don't get accused of
anorak-ism. Why, deponent knoweth not, but I can't see that watching 23
men chasing a ball around a field is any less odd an interest than my
own -- and it's pretty boring, IMO.

Phil
----
"We gotta get out into Space / If it's the last thing we ever do!"
   -- Return to the Forbidden Planet

Prev: My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak Next: Re: SG2 close combat cover shifts