Prev: Re: [SGII]: PA in close assault, Multiple opponents Next: My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak

Re: [OT](maybe) Drives list...

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:42:40 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT](maybe) Drives list...

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:42:18 -0400 Donald Hosford
<Hosford.Donald@acd.net> wrote:

> In the section for Battlestar Galactica (section 2.3 -- movies and
television), it mentions that they use the "Maron drive". What source
does this come from? Is it a "fan-created" thing? (various
"fanficts".) Or is it official? (ie: mentioned somewhere in the
shows/official books.) <

Don't think anyone ever answered this, so...

The Maron drive is UNofficial. The show never mentioned _anything_
about how space travel worked in that universe, and even the
astronomical terminology was mixed-up -- something that has been used
by so-called experts to criticise the show in the past. It is possible
to infer a few things about capabilities (like both ships and fighters
had FTL drives and comms), but nothing was ever said specifically --
probably deliberately. Which is just as well; the few times that
something was mentioned, they messed it up!

The Maron drive was, IIRC, mentioned in the episode novelisations (or
possibly fan-produced technical material), but they are both unreliable
and inconsistent as a guide to what was seen on screen. For instance,
the first book has the Galactica using some kind of jump drive, which
doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the series. And then there's
Adama's famous "lightspeed" line... <wince>

Still, the drive list is interesting -- due for an update and some
correction, but interesting.

Phil
----
"Sic Transit Gloria Barramundi"
   (Or, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!)
   -- not Douglas Adams, but me: Phil Atcliffe

Prev: Re: [SGII]: PA in close assault, Multiple opponents Next: My misconceptions? Re: FMA : Full Metal Anorak