Prev: [SGII]: PA in close assault, Multiple opponents Next: Field Manuals

Re: [OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:57:50 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Die rolling can o' worms Re: WWII DSII

Hi Scott,

>Oh, this topic is for me.  :-)

Me too!

>The d6 system GW (and many others) uses is my least favorite system for
all
>the reasons you gave.	It was designed to be simple, then they add
modifier
>after modifier until it is more complex than the alternatives.  To make
it
>worse, 'some companies' require extra books(aka "codex") or a lifetime
>subscription to their magazine to keep up to date on the latest
>modifiers/rules.

Well this is where the SH system is different, it is a table of factors
for
each vehicle, then 3 or 4 factors in total to apply, its very easy, and
in a
couple of turns u know them all.

>The FMA system is breath of fresh air IMHO.  It allows a nice level
detail
>with a few modifiers without becoming too bogged down.  An all around
good
>compromise and good system IMHO.

yeah its good isnt it, not so keen on DSII, but each to their own.

>BUT, I suspect I am in a small minority here, but I LOVE tables.  A
single,
>well laid-out chart/table can have literally  magnitudes more detail
and
>subtly than either of these systems if the tables are constructed
correctly
>(IMHO).  Sure, you have to look up the result each time you roll a
dice,
>but
>if the tables can fit on a double sided sheet for play this is no real
>hardship IMHO.

Um I like knowing as soon as the dice stops, but hey, as long as its
quick
and simple.

Richard

Prev: [SGII]: PA in close assault, Multiple opponents Next: Field Manuals