Prev: Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING Next: Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING

Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:55:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING

At 6:41 PM -0400 10/15/01, adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:
>[snip]
>You can reinforce it, if you're so inclined, with some kind of fibre in
the
>mold.	Fabric (gauze) works well.  Glass fibre.  Etc.	Makes it a bit
>stronger, though isn't absolutely necessary.

Hows this for an idea?

Pour in a small amount of the plaster in the mold then spread it
around inside the mold. Then take some medical gauze or some other
kind of open weave cloth (Burlap perhaps...?) of about the right size
and place it inside the mold near the outer perimeter of the mold,
then fill the balance of the mold. Thump the mold to relieve any
bubbles and add the balance of the PoP that you need to add or
remove. Let it set. That should act as a nice reinforcement to the
casting near the major ares of stress (corners).

>And plaster of paris is a *lot* less expensive than casting resin.  And
it
>sets up pretty quick too, so if you make several molds, you can have an
>almost continuous production line going.

Very true. There are a few 1/300 scale buildings out there cast in
Plaster that work quite well. You just have to pad them slightly
better in the carry all for your terrain.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \	   Protect Freedom AND Security        -
-    NRA	  \	http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/     -

Prev: Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING Next: Re: [SGII] Modular Starship Terrain AND CASTING