Prev: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted

Re: Vehicle cammo website

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:04:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Vehicle cammo website

At 1:45 PM -0400 10/8/01, Allan Goodall wrote:

>At any rate, Babel Fish translated the site well enough to read, though
some
>of the technical stuff didn't translate (Flecktarnanstrich, for one,
though
>you can sort of guess what it is). I smiled at, "The other armed
services (air
>Force, Navy, navy Corps) as well as for special vehicles (e.g.
engineering
>equipment) apply separate manuals." German grammar doesn't translate
EXACTLY
>to English via Babel Fish.

Hmm, though not a german speaker, I suspect that Flectarnanstrich is
"Camoflage pattern" or some such. Flecktar is a particular uniform
pattern that the swiss used. Given the german love of long compound
words (Panzerzug, Panzerschiff, Machinegwher, etc) look up nanstrich
or strich on babelfish.

>This is a good site, and as Brian said, I didn't realize the "paint by
>numbers" aspect of the cammo schemes.

Yep. They generally specify the location of each color and have the
depot people paint it exactly like that. The location of the dark and
light spots is supposed to break up the outline and appearance in a
particular way. Note the solid pattern on the wheels, since in motion
a two color wheel would create something to draw the eye.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \	   Protect Freedom AND Security        -
-    NRA	  \	http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/     -

Prev: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted Next: Re: Eli's retro power armour pictures posted