Prev: Re: FT Forts Next: RE: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

Re: FT Forts

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:27:57 +0200
Subject: Re: FT Forts

----- Original Message -----
From: <aebrain@austarmetro.com.au>
> I've played in far too many scenarios where I had to have at least
some
missile-equipped ships to take out base stations. Make the bases
stronger to
> deal adequately with the missiles without being sitting ducks, and
they
become overly strong against non-missiles.

Even if the base's strength consists mainly in Point Defence systems ?
This
would have been my first idea for solving the problem.

> In order for stations (by that I mean any stationary shiplike things)
be useful but not too-powerful, we need to be able to balance them vs
missiles.

> The obvious solution might be to give some PSB about the homing
mechanism
on Missiles being dependent to some extent on the target having a
> manouver drive. Ships which have no manouver drive ( not just switched
off
or even destroyed, but not fitted with one ) are to some degree
> protected against missiles. How much protection, and how to give this
protection without extra die rolls etc are the difficult questions.

You could argue that missiles home in on the waste heat from the ship
drive
system, which will be there even when the drive has been off for a long
time. But it feels clunky to me.

I would prefer to make defensive system (PDS) for a fort stronger and/or
cheaper than for a ship.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: FT Forts Next: RE: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183