Prev: Re: [DS+FT] A scenery suggestion Next: Re: FT Forts

Re: FT Forts

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:21:52 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Forts

On or about Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 12:35:09PM +1000,
aebrain@austarmetro.com.au typed:

>In order for stations (by that I mean any stationary shiplike things)
to be useful but not too-powerful, we need to be able to balance them vs
missiles.

>How to do this? Some of my ideas are below - but regardless of how good
or bad my proposed solutions are, I'd like people to think about the
problem.

Improved PDAF/PDS effectiveness strikes me as a reasonable compromise -
it cuts the effectiveness of, specifically, fighters and missiles,
without heavily compromising other attack forms. Perhaps a
non-manoeuvred construct can afford bigger and more delicate targetting
computers than the tough but simple machines used on warships? This
could be fine-tuned fairly easily, I think.

>Topic 2
>
>The obvious solution might be to give some PSB about the homing
mechanism on Missiles being dependent to some extent on the target
having a manouver drive. Ships which have no manouver drive ( not just
switched off or even destroyed, but not fitted with one ) are to some
degree protected against missiles. How much protection, and how to give
this protection without extra die rolls etc are the difficult questions.

I don't really like this; it feels ugly. What about non-manoeuvreing
ships? This would have to be tied in with sensor rules to be really
effective...

Roger

Prev: Re: [DS+FT] A scenery suggestion Next: Re: FT Forts