Prev: [OT] (ish) New Toy - Patriot Launcher/Tractor Next: Re: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

[OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:20:32 -0400
Subject: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183

An odd thought occured to me while
contemplating Aliens(TM)-like environment
where troops get shipped around as
Troopsicles(TM).

Do you get paid for downtime? Time dilation
would surely wreck your life back on any planet,
so you'd think there would be some sort of
premium, but paying the troopie for every
minute of their sleep makes for a high cost per
active minute....

Now, the canon GZGverse may not have this
bug quite as bad - jump drives seem to
suggest that cold sleep, though used, isn't used
for protracted journeys. A week here and there
isn't bad. I'm thinking of a universe in which you
lose years sometimes. It'd mean you'd fall out
of temporal sync with friends, classmates, etc.
Correspondingly, you'd think it would make you
VERY close with your comrades on ship.

Also, what useful way is there to pay soldiers
like this? You don't load the ship up with
money, but presumably you need enough if
they get liberty anywhere to let them spend
some. Soldiers like to get paid. Maybe it is all
electronic... but if speed of money movement is
limited to speed of ship movement, then
interesting issues arise.

Just something that struck me, driving home
and trying to clear my head of Java code.....

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: [OT] (ish) New Toy - Patriot Launcher/Tractor Next: Re: [OT] [HIST] Paymasters of 2183