Prev: [HIST] Recent events and the GZG Universe (was: Thoughts on World Government) Next: Re: Starship Combat News has Moved!

Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 26 Sep 2001 08:45:24 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Full Thrust-based WW2 Naval

On Tue, 25 September 2001, "Bif Smith" wrote:

> Try a turreted K-gun, they don`t have the range vs dammage problem,
just a
> range Vs to hit (which is probably closer to reality?).

In fact, range versus damage is what I'm after. The problem is that
beams are totally linear. 1 die at the extreme range band, 2 dice the
next range band in, 3 dice one closer, etc.

First off, I changed the range bands to 6". I found that 12" was too
"coarse". I had 12" guns doing 6 dice at range band 1, 5 at two, etc. 6"
guns were 3 dice at range band 1, 2 at two, etc.

As I did more research, I found that this isn't very accurate. The 6"
guns were actually very fast to fire. The amount of projectile energy in
a 6" gun versus a 12" gun over time at "standard" engagement ranges was
about equal. Of course, 12" guns had a much greater chance of
penetrating armour.

I have three options:

1. keep the guns as they are and accept that it's not very accurate
historically.
2. change the guns. So that they don't have a linear drop off. For
instance, if I go to 9" range bands, I could do 8 (or 6 dice), 4, 2, and
1 for the 12" guns.
3. keep the linear progression but give the guns different sized range
bands. Since I doubt that I could keep each range band the same size,
this would mean some sort of look up on a sheet, which slows down the
game.

> Is it on a site? (wishing to be nosey <G>)

Nope, not yet. It's in a big Word file. I'm still working out some
ideas. When I come up with something, I'll post it.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com