Prev: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity Next: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity

Re: [SG] Unit Cohesion

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:27:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Unit Cohesion

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:46:21 -0400, "Tomb" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

>I'd say one man can search a small area defined by a dummy counter. And
>the bumpf about SLs being the only members who can spot.... my lord
that
>sounds silly! I have eyes, but cannot see (until I get promoted to
>Corporal!).

It's only silly if you assume that each individual figure in SG2 is an
individual figure. In fact, when I explain how to play SG2 I point out
that
each figure is a place holder. The figures are just casualty and weapon
indicators. The unit, the squad, is the main element in SG2. The squad
in SG2
is like the squad counters in AH's "Squad Leader". The SAW guys are like
the
LMG counters; detached squads are like the half squad counters.

In fact, the leader is the only one that initiates anything in SG2.
Actions
are either the leader doing something or the leader motivating the squad
to do
something. This aspect of SG2 is often forgotten.

To my mind, the leader is not the only figure spotting. But forcing the
rules
to say "only the leader spots" stops the munchkinism of spreading out an
entire squad so that one squad can search out all dummy counters over a
120
metre front. It's internally consistent with the SL doing the actions.
It
keeps the concepts easy to remember, even though it's actually just
simulating
something entirely different.

In other words, it's an abstraction. It may sound silly by the letter of
the
rules, but it works as a restriction.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity Next: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity