Prev: RE: GZG WCC II stuff Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: ShldWulf@a...
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:06:45 EDT
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

In a message dated 9/7/2001 3:33:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time,

and rmgill@mindspring.com (Ryan M Gill) writes:

>The newer version has a Millimeter wave guidance with the Long Bow
>Apache. The version is AGM-114L. It is fire and forget.

WILL be. As of the present it's been tested but not put into service as
far
as I can tell from the posted articles. As of 2000, (when I retired) it
was
not an active munition. Service Hellfires are laser guided. Now WHEN
they
actually put these on line, they will still have to go active to lock
onto
target prior to firing. Thus giving any vehicle with a radar detector
time to
activate counter measures. Same difference actually, since laser sensors
can
detect a painting laser and gives a chance to shoot off smoke or laser
"fairy" dust. The nice thing about the laser is the laser could be
coming
from anywhere up to 90deg, off the Hellfire's flight path. So even if
you
detect it, your not sure where the missile is at the time.

Prev: RE: GZG WCC II stuff Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?