Prev: RE: Ogre Minis? Next: Re: Primer

[OT] Ogre Miniatures Ruleset Re: Ogre Minis?

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:09:56 -0500
Subject: [OT] Ogre Miniatures Ruleset Re: Ogre Minis?

***
> >I just picked up a Deluxe Ogre pack.  If you are going to buy it
> >just do so for the miniatures.  The rules are the hex based ones.
>
> Which is definitely worthwhile in and of itself! ...though I prefer
> the PE units that come with Deluxe-GEV.

It's nice having the small Ogre ruleset, but I don't get the same
feel from a hex-based game.  When I buy a set of rules with mini's
I want to play "measure it with a tape" type game.
***

I'm fairly certain Schoon meant that the miniatures made it worthwhile,
but
I wanted to stop a moment and thank you that you didn't say 'more
realistic'. I understand, and perhaps agree in the main, with those that
use those words, but still find them irritating. I can get quite
realistic
senses of movement and terrain out of a well-designed hex-based game; it
IS
the perception or 'feel' that counts, and if you don't find it works for
you, no arguing can change that.

However, my question to the list is a quick 'how do you feel about the
miniatures ruleset itself?' While I had no problems with the difference
in
vertical vs. horizontal scale, or, in the main,  how the weapons worked,
but always thought the movement system as a whole and weapons targetting
was thin. I've at least two copies of the book, as they popped up mighty
cheap in the cut out bins locally, and the ruleset was simple and clean
enough for even a vachead such as myself. ;->=

As this would get way OT as a running thread, I'd appreciate replies
directly addressed to: devans@uneb.edu.

Thanks!

The_Beast

PS Don't be afraid to point me to web sites or posts to other
newsgroups;
there's a fair amount of 'stuff' about the rules, but I haven't found
any

Prev: RE: Ogre Minis? Next: Re: Primer