Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: Re: Campaigns

Re: Campaigns

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:42:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Campaigns

 From Brendan;

> Untrained: -3 CF, 6 months training to make Green

Or 6 weeks "training as you serve" in hard pressed wartime (or 1
battle).

> Green: -1 CF, 6 weeks training and 1 battle or wargame to make Regular
> Regular: +0, 6 battles to make veteran

_6_ Battles?! The way most people play any given ship is lucky to
survive 2 in a row with crew largely unscathed. At FT squadron fleet
scales, ships go pop too easily. 2 or 3 at most.

 From Richard Bell:

>  Any ship could be fabricated in this way, even
> battleships and supercarriers.  However, there is a downside:  The
> initial
> engineering and tooling costs are more, so you do not actually save on

> the
> amortized cost of each unit; unless, you build alot of them, even
though
> each unit requires less man-hours and capital to build.

I like this allot, but how do you translate it to a simple campaign
system? Sseems like you need some kind of Tradeoff system Here's one
example:

Ship cost  x 3/ (design time x tool up time x production time) =
constant.

Simple example (I know the realities would be quite different)

A 300 Mcr BC class takes (from scratch)
1 year to design
1 year to tool up for
1 year to build at

The constant ("Ship Construction Constant") is 300 Mcr/yr^3

If you want to build it in 1/2 the time, you can:
Double the per/unit cost, design time, or tool up time
Increase design time by 4 months and add either 100 to the cost or 4
months to tooling.

You might require some fiddling with the proportions to get something
that works in all scales that concern you. Or additional factors could
be introduced (e.g. "Wartime Panic Modifier" "Tech Breakthrough
Modifier" "Strained Resources Modifier")
- Each factor probably needs hard lower limits, or perhaps (if you want
real complexity) exponential scaling
- Bonuses to design/tool up for recycling old designs (Examples: The FSE

Jerez probably gets significant bonuses from basically being a Treiste
welded onto the back of a Suffren, NAC gets smaller bonueses for the
re-use of the 'teardrop' bridge and 'engine pod' designs.

Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: Re: Campaigns