Prev: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements Next: Real cheap 20mm army men

Re: [FT] Quick GenCon Rundown

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:24:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Quick GenCon Rundown

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:35:57 -0500, "Dean Gundberg"
<Dean.Gundberg@noridian.com> wrote:

>Schoon had to pull out of the con so I agreed to take over running the
3 FT
>demos and the FT Tourney in addition to 2 sessions of my Sci-Fi
Crossover
>game.	I then had to get sheets ready for the demos and the Tourney
with no
>preparation.

Hi, Dean! Sounds like you did a great job under tough circumstances. I'm
sorry
that personal stuff prevented me from attending this year. Yeah, I know
I said
last year that I probably wouldn't have attended, but I probably would
have
shown up anyway.

It is pretty stressful running things, isn't it? I was pretty stressed
out 2
years ago. That was the year I made sure to grab all the terrain and
figures
each night. Last year I did the easier route and made the individual
judges
more responsible. It's the only sane way to do it.

How was the con run in general? Of the 12 people I knew (most of which I
cajoled into going) who went 2 years ago, none went this year. Last
year's
problem with getting into events finally did it in for them. I know last
year
they had a 25% increase in attendees, but I've also been hearing that
they
were slowly losing judges. This is a nasty trend, if it kept up.

Last year I talked to the main guy at the Miniatures HQ on the Thursday
and
gave him a head's up of what we needed and when. I shouldn't have to do
that,
but it worked best that way. Things went smoothly after that, though
they had
a tendency to say that we hadn't shown up to run an event if we didn't
check
in with the HQ (instead of just pointing folks to the table area).
Sounds like
things were worse this year. What room was used for the mini events? The
same
as last year?

How was the dealer's room, with respect to miniatures? I noticed that in
the 6
years I had attended miniatures were slowly slipping away. I had a ball
at
"Fall In" last year, in spite of it being a much smaller convention,
just
because of the concentration of miniature stuff. I like the wide range
of
things available at GenCon, but it's unfortunate that miniatures have
taken
such a back seat.

And, sorry to miss seeing you, Rick, Da Beast, Lew, Mike, and the usual
GenCon
regulars. I hope to make it to next year, as it will be the last year in
Milwaukee, but I can't make any guarantees. The next year is going to be
rather unsettled...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements Next: Real cheap 20mm army men