Prev: Re: [DS] WWII Rules Next: RE:[DS2] Multiple and Mixed weapons turrets

Re: Multiple and Mixed weapons turrets

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:48:17 EDT
Subject: Re: Multiple and Mixed weapons turrets

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:36:01 -0400 Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
writes:
>At 12:59 PM -0400 7/18/01, Glenn M Wilson wrote:
>>Your last e-mail as off list but had some good points in it that the
>>group might want to consider.  Would you want to post it (or I can
>>forward the response I sent) to the group for discussion or would you
>>prefer that e-mail just be a private correspondence for some
>reason...
>
>Actually it was cc'd to the list.

AH, I tried reply to sender only (Reply to All is 'verboten' at work so
have got out of the habit of using it) but reply to all (I tested both
on
this e-mail) shows indeed it was!

>>Either way, good questions/points.  The granularity of DS2 is both
>it's
>>prime plus (to me) and it's biggest weakness (sometimes in some ways)
>it
>>seems.  I like it pretty much the way it is, but then I think a
>>'realistic' (whatever that means) DS2 rules set would eventually make
>>Star Fleet Battles seem not so perversely complicated.
>
>Yes. Thats why I bring up the point of 4 tanks with 4 shots vs 4
>tanks with 8 shots issue. Two weapons doesn't add enough cost to be
>able to do that. You have to pay for that additional FC and the
>weapon. TANSTAAFL

Oh, fer sure!  And I am not a big fan of this, BTW, just exploring
things.  With my Mixed weapons turrets for the campaign armies I use, I
plan to require the player to use (one or) both weapons on the same
target.  That HEL/1 mounted Coax with that DFFG/5 might just get lucky
if
the Main Gun blows it.	I assume the software 'checks fire' with the
DFFG
but allows the HEL to fire when it decides the DFFG is out of range but
the Gunner wants to shoot the HEL/1 at that pesky FO vehicle he just
spotted on the hill...

But the issue of the 'either or' use of main gun /or/ APSW still
remains.

Page 28 "Direct Fire" has each element of a firing unit choosing one
target (and FWIW, I assume that means the dismounted Infantry *or* their
supporting APC's/IFV's) [Only SLAM's can target - indirectly at
medium/long range - surrounding units] but not both.)  Pg 35
specifically
states firing an APSW at infantry from a vehicle eliminates the use of
it's main gun.	In light of DFFG/HEL/RFAC/MDC/HVC/SLAM (at close range
only) CAN target infantry separately  [page 36] there is an interesting
anomaly - HEL's get 36" at 2 dice,  RFAC/MDC/HVC at medium range (Varies
from 8" for DFFG/1 to 48" for MDC/5) for 2 dice,  DFFG with three dice
at
Medium Range (Varies from 8" to 24"), SLAM's target at 12" (3 to 5 dice)

and APSW 12" with 3 dice.  So, a Tank with an MDC/5 can fire at 12.1" to
48" with it's main gun and get two dice but when the target gets within
12" the main gun is locked out (Geneva Conventions 2?) and only the APSW
works?	That doesn't fit with current real world practice - Back to
Zumbro's book for example.  I think that needs some re-thinking but I'll
cover it with a house rule for my games.

>>Besides, it's difficult enough to get multiple barreled turret AFV's
>much
>>less two 'different' looking weapons in a turret AFV's in 6mm (or
>1/300th
>>or 1/285th) scale. <snip>

>Not really. I have a size 5 Super heavy tank design that runs an
>MDC/5 and a DFFG/5 on a turreted size 5 chassis. One weapon is used
>at long range. The other is when a target gets to knife fighting
>range. Its a Battle Tech Demolisher tank with one barrel extended. I
>have a pair. There are also 4 size 6 tanks that run a Turret, two
>HEL/5's a bunch of extra stuff and space for a squad of Power Armour.
>Sort of a super heavy dreadnought Merkava. Uber Armoured infantry.
>They also have APSW's out the waazoo.

Well, I have yet to find anything locally and I am waiting (less and
less) patiently since mid-April for my first Geo-Hex order to arrive.
Between the shop owner and what he says is the distributor's practice I
have finally found a situation where I will no longer use the local shop
for this function.  I am doing my buying of things the local shop owner
won't carry on his shelves direct.  That will be a pain because I will
have to track down specific pictures (find someone who has some) of a
model before I order it.  But allowing for the local owner enough time
assemble a big enough order to be worthwhile for him (say all of May)
means that I still have waited 6 weeks (and the local owner says he
doesn't expect it until another few weeks) and it's simply gotten
unacceptable.  I earned the store credit at the semi-annual flea market
last March...

Who makes those figures?  The one was Battle Tech and the other was?

Anybody make smaller (Size 2 through 4 style) with multiple or even
mixed
weapon turrets?  If it's dual weaponry I can always modify one barrel...

I suppose I could get  off my... chair and modify turrets myself.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [DS] WWII Rules Next: RE:[DS2] Multiple and Mixed weapons turrets