Prev: Re: Movies Next: Re: Movies

DS2 fire control modification

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:40:22 -0400
Subject: DS2 fire control modification

Reading the suggestion for more capable high
tech firecon makes me want to build a fleet
small, low-tech AFVs with multiple guns and a
high tech fire control. Then they'll chew through
a lot of these high tech high cost big AFVs for
cheap.

The problem is high tech increases the lethality
of the unit, but doesn't particularly increase the
survivability. ECM increases help, I admit, versus
GMS. Stealth helps versus guns. But stealth
costs through the nose!

For the same amount of bucks as you can build
a high stealth large tank, you can build a lot of
small GMS/H armed jeeps which are just as
hard to hit, don't lose all of their firepower if
one goes boom, and can put out far more fire.

In the real world, hi-tech generally means you
can attack the enemy when
1) he has no idea what is going on
2) his ability to respond is limited (suppressed
comms, attack from further range, armour he
can't penetrate from the front, etc)

But in DS2, unless you actually restrict it in
game setup, anyone can mount a long range
weapon, anyone can buy high value armour,
and confusion and whatnot caused by messed
up comms and tacint systems aren't
represented. So a lot of what constitutes 'high
tech advantage' in the real world is somewhat
mitigated. And the BOOM chip is the great
equalizer.

Prev: Re: Movies Next: Re: Movies