Prev: Re: New IF ships Next: Re: New IF ships

RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:15:00 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

At 8:52 AM -0700 7/5/01, agoodall@canada.com wrote:

>>  My suggestion would have been more simple.
>>
>>  On a non-penetrating the vehicle recieves a suppression marker. If
>>  the crew/passengers wish to leave the vehicle, they also are treated
>>  as if they have a suppression marker.
>
>The only problem is that it violates the rule that a suppression
>marker on a vehicle or building doesn't allow the occupants to exit
>the vehicle or building! (For buildings, the rules suggest putting
>the suppression marker on one wall or side of the structure).

I'm still new to Stargrunt but I've done a lot of study of infantry
and armour tactics so I'll take a stab at some of this. Mostly I'm
thinking in real principles here and trying to get 'game' and 'real'
to meet in the middle.

I think the thing you're trying to model is the fact that a armoured
vehicle takes a hit. Normally the crew would be staying buttoned up.
But, there is now a hole in the side of the vehicle the systems are
down, the engine is smoking and one or more of the crew are dead.
Time to get out before the fire reaches the magazine's or worse the
fuel cell and the vehicle brews up. Screw the chance of getting
killed, the thing may blow up. So the crew bail out. They leave by
roof hatches or by side doors or whatever. Their concern is getting
out of the vehicle no matter what.

I guess it all really depends on if the vehicle is just disabled or
really well worked over by the penetrating round. If its just
disabled they can take their time. If its holed then they want out
now.

In both situations they count as being suppressed. In the case of the
"RIGHT NOW!", the crew	bailing are naturally immediately suppressed
(perhaps doubly so, ie two suppression markers?). They aren't going
to be doing much for a little while anyhow.

A correct anti-armour drill by a pair of teams would have a SAW and a
GMS system of some sort (perhaps IAVRs) destroying/damaging it. The
bailing out crew is then shot by an additional SAW team. The presence
of the SAW then provides additional suppression and kills on the
vehicle as the crew bails out of the dying tank/MICV.

Immediately after the Penetrating hit is reached... Surviving crew
gets placed d6" away from the vehicle in a circle. They receive 2
suppression markers. This takes place immediately after the
resolution. An anti-armour team up close in an ambush that took out
the vehicle with its first activation would then have a second
activation to shoot at the crew as they bail out with SAWs and other
small arms.

The intra-activation bail out action may be a bit much, but seems to
model the effects of a vehicle getting worked over by an anti-armour
team. Naturally their ability to kill the armour crew/passengers is
up to their abilities as a team. They may end up placing an
additional suppression marker on the crew/passengers or may end up
killing more. If the shot was from longer range, then its likely they
are able to escape the vehicle and find the nearest hole to hide in
before looking around at their buddies and figuring out who is hurt
then taking care of them.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: New IF ships Next: Re: New IF ships