Prev: Re: Small ships Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day

Big ship loadout ... Was Size Class Escalation

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Big ship loadout ... Was Size Class Escalation

--- Roger Books <books@jumpspace.net> wrote:
... My Battleship has 2 type 4's, 2
> > type 3's and 2 pulse torpedoes. At band 4 the
> > battleships fire 2 dice apiece (1.6 pts) and
> > the SDN fires off 6 dice (4.8 points). At band 3,
> > the BB's fire 6 dice apiece (4.8 points) and the
> > SDN gets 12. Once their in 30, it goes to 4.8 +
> > 1/6(3.5) = 5.38 vs. about 6.
>
> Is it my fault you picked a poor loadout for your
> bigger
> ship?  :)

Actually, I've been pretty pleased with my
weapons load. The longer range type 4's, though
not the most efficient package up close, allows
me to damage my opponent as he approaches and
still does respectable damage up close. I find
when I'm not hitting with the beams I'm doing
ok with the torps and vice versa.

The battleship in question is my interpretation
of the B5 Omega Destroyer (no fighters on this
version) which specs out neatly to 400 points.
It's pretty hard hitting, not too expensive, and
can take a pounding, even from the Kra'vak. It
suffers when up against lots of beams itself
due to it's lack of screens, but it's usual
opponent is the Kra'vak. It's part of the UN
force resisting the Kra'vak invasion. The UN
doesn't have many Warlocks (900 points) but it
has similar strengths and weaknesses.

There's a guy in our group who has a Kra'vak
SDN with 6 K5's. That one hurts when it hits.
Another has about 30 type 2 beams. Don't let
that one get close! Another has a fair number
of submunitions in addition to a respectable
regular armament.

Prev: Re: Small ships Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day