Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: Mounted Cavalry

Small ships

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:19:52 -0400
Subject: Small ships

Another thought:
Big ship --> Production cost X, production time
5 years, eats up one big shipyard slip for that
length of time
10 smaller ships --> Production cost X/10
each, production time 1 year, eats up 10
smaller shipyard slips but only for a year.

At the end of one year, you've got 10 small
raiders or escorts ready to replace losses. He's
got half the hull on his BB. Who'll win that fight?
Attritional warfare such as occurs in most major
conflicts inevitable makes small ships more
common as they are quickly produced
replacements, and large ships are very valuable
because if you lose one, you have  a loss for a
long (in war terms) time. You may be able to
throw the money at the problem and have the
slip space, but a big ship can only go up so
fast, and that means it will take longer than an
equal mass and cost of smaller ships. So,
you've got a strategic deployment issue.

I think Weber hit on this somewhere in one of
his novels where they didn't want to deploy
Adm. White Haven and the Home Fleet to
someplace because the consequences of losing
it would be horrid. They just couldn't risk losing
the big battlewagons. Similarly, I think England
has had this kind of issue many times over the
centuries. I suspect smaller ships have done
combat many times when bigger ships could
have fought, if the consequences of losing the
big boys hadn't been deemed too dire.

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: Mounted Cavalry