Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

--- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, David Griffin wrote:
>

> > --- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:
> > > Besides, is it truly politically acceptable NOT
> > > have a human in the
> > > loop of a weapon of (mass?) destruction? Do you
> > > think it will BECOME
> > > acceptable?
> > >
> > You mean like a nuclear tipped cruise missile? or
> > an ICBM? What's the difference between launching
> > an AI drone fighter and launching a cruise
> missile?
>
> When you launch a cruise missile, the decision to
> HIT a specific target
> has already been taken. With a fighter this is not
> (necessarily) the case.

Well, remember a cruise missile is a replacement
for a Bomber. In the past, with a man in the loop,
the bomber could be recalled or decide the orders
had been in error (wow, maybe we shouldn't bomb
that big white building with the red cross). Now
with a cruise missile that decision is gone. So
you're right technically, but in a real sense, the
cruise missile IS an example of the man cut out of
the loop (or at least moved back in the loop).

You could say the same thing about launching a
AI drone. Ok drone, you say, go to these coordinates
and shoot down any enemy planes. You made the
decision, but now you're out of the loop. The drone
will be making the decisions from then on.

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI