Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:44:20 +0200 (MEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

David Griffin schrieb:
> > It's at this point I hear two comments: 1) humans
> > are "unpredictable";

> > In answer to 1: humans aren't THAT undpredictable.
> > In fact, a lot of fields (marketing, social science,
> > polling -- *ahem* --) are based on that fact.

I consider the frequently stated argument that combat AIs would be too
predictable to be a red herring. Even today, it is a simple matter to
write a computer program with a random number generator to make the
program as unpredictable as you like. It is well known in game theory
that for some games (e.g.paper, scissors, stones) a purely random
strategy is optimal. Any decent combat AI would be able to analyze the
chances of a possible tactics. Weigh the options according to this and
pick one at random based on the odds calculation.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI