Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: Taking pictures...

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:43:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

At 8:43 AM +1000 6/19/01, Derek Fulton wrote:
>At 05:33  18/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
>>Eureka in particular has the templates already. Photoshop has
>>automated functions (crop, size, adjust contrast, save as a
>>thumbnail and fullsized image all in a batch). If I were paid to do
>>a small amount of photo processing (all digital) I could handle 500
>>figs in a week doing nothing else.
>
>And how much will you charge? mmmmm

Well, I'm making $25/hr now for CNN as a technical type. A student or
out of work Web type would be about that I guess for contract type
work. I know a 14 year old that probably charges $20/hr, she did a
year and a half ago when she was doing web pages for people.

The only web site job I did had me and a friend doing a site for a
shop I frequented. She and I were doing design and implementation for
the plug and play e-commerce site. We ended up settling on $50 for
the contract work, usually the going rate for such work in Atlanta at
the time was $100 or so. Contract work makes quite a bit. Sadly she
and I got bogged down with projects on our real jobs and we couldn't
play with them any more. The owners picked up the learning curve and
the site went on from there. They finished out the catalog eventually.

Mind you I'm waaay over here on the other side of the planet so I'm
not terribly easy to meet. Plus I don't have much time.

Still, I'm in the business of the web site thing (CNN.com for the
past 5 years) and I usually know what I'm talking about. The trick is
finding someone that is hungry enough not to charge you an arm and a
leg and is able to do the work.

A 2nd or 3rd year art student (or perhaps someone just out and
looking for work) is usually very good for such things. They have
access to the toys and want to learn the tricks. Having something
substantial they can show as being in their portfolio is the trick.
And they don't come nearly as expensive as the professionals.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: Taking pictures...