Prev: Re: [Ft] Objects was fwd: [Full Thrust] Earn Good Karma, Help a Newbie (fwd) Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:12:50 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:20:57 +1000 Derek Fulton
<derekfulton@bigpond.com>
writes:
>At 12:27  18/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
>>Very good point. I haven't bought any figures "sight unseen". I have
>either
>>seen the figures myself, or had recommendations by people. On the
>other hand,
>>I also want to see the pictures. I won't buy figures from a line I
>trust,
>>even, if I can't see what I'm buying. For one thing, I want to know
>that a
>>ship, figure, vehicle, etc. listed in the catalogue is what I think
>it is.
>
>Back before the internet, and when there was only mail order via sea
>unless
>you really wanted to pay the cost of airmail. We would order a few
>miniatures to look them over.
>
>Derek

Roger that, Derek, but that's why I quit doing that.  I never bought
Irregular but there is a specific example of an established source with
wide spread of scales and eras with an even wider spread of quality over
those ranges.  And not necessarily 'bad' quality but styles I like (and
most don't) or I hate (but others love) that can make a "few miniatures"
not necessarily representative of the specific line/era you are
interested in.	Even by the same sculptors (Like Foundry's stable) there
can be a variation over time and lines (Foundry Woodland Indians versus
Orcs) that might be significant to me.	**Then** it was a fact of life,
now it's not necessary to suffer from lack of information.  And yes,
this
is one of those "hard core, stubborn Indian ain't going to change"
things
with me.  No See,  No buy.  Period.  Ever (anymore) and forever (well,
at
least longer then the gras grows and the water flows here in
America.....
 It's a joke, sir!  A  joke!)  Several companies lost my money to what
is
possibly lesser quality figures because there's no where to see them
(well, the figures I want, not *all* their figures.)  Irregular could be
rich today....

Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!