Prev: Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields) Next: Re: Canon - What makes something Canon?

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:39:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 12:48 AM

<20010606150223.ZYJW2764.tomts14-srv.bellnexxia.net@[209.226.175.22]>
>	    Allan Goodall <awg@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > > From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com>
> > > Date: 2001/06/06 Wed AM 10:34:45 EDT
> >
> > > Do we know how heavy a mass 225 spaceship is in
> > > Full Thrust and how far 48MU's is as far as
> > > weapon range? I think they're deliberately vague
> > > so they can simulate a variety of genres, but
> > > I'm talking about within Tuffley's FT universe.
> >
> > The calculated scale for FT in the Tuffleyverse is 1000 km per MU,
and
> > 15 to 20 minutes per turn.
> >
> > I have seen references to 1 mass = 100 tons, but I'm not positive
about
that.

> > Allan Goodall     awg@sympatico.ca
> >
> I tend to think of this as 1 mu = 1000km, 1 turn = 1000s, in which
case
> 1 thrust = .2g (so thrust 5 = 1g).

I always though of 1 thrust being 1G, but 0.2G? Also, a question for all
you
learned people out there. Is 1G 9.8MPS squared or 8.8MPS squared? I`m
asking
this due to the fact that in all the HH books, DW gives the figure as
9.8
(which I thought it was, but I`m in disagreement with someone at present
over it<G>).

> It should be noted that under this scale, a Phalon plasma bolt is
almost
> as big as the Earth :-)

It could be, but if the plasma bolt`s gasses (plasma being gasses in a
highly energetic state Y/N?) covered that large a area, the dammage it
would
cause to a ship is FA.

> For other genres - using range values quoted in the series (where I
> remember them):
>
> B5 - typical engagement ranges in 100's of km, so 1mu = 10km
> Star Trek - typical engagement ranges (as quoted in script - _not_
> apparent visual ranges in FX) - 10's of thousands of km, so 1mu =
1000km
> Andromeda (from the few episodes I watched) - typical engagement
ranges
> in multiples of light seconds - 1mu = .1 to 1 light seconds, or 30,000
> to 300,000 km (and missiles move at near lightspeed).
>
> In _written_ SF, the ranges can get a lot bigger :-).
>
> Charles

Yes, in writing they do get a lot bigger, and in my mind closer to
reality
(or what would be reality <G>). The only problem with reality in visual
mediums (film, TV, etc) would it would be very boaring (captain, we just
destroyed that speck on light). The nearest I`ve seen anybody get to it
would be the LOGH anime (at least in the fact where it would be quiet
and
peiceful abord your ship, while multi-megatonne warhead going off around
you).

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields) Next: Re: Canon - What makes something Canon?