Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:15:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

> I believe that Traveler used hydrogen displacement of the entire ship
> determine the mass of thier ships. I am drawing from memory of a game
that I
> owned and read as a teen (20+ years ago), but never had the chance to
play.

> What jogged my memory was, back then, trying to understand how a crew
> quarters that was mainly empty space would cost so much in mass. Once
you
> realize that it was measured against the mass of hydrogen
displacement, it
> was easier to understand. It includes the pressurized atmosphere, the
> materials used in construction, accomidations, and the personnel.

Apparently (I have yet to verify this), a tonne of liquid hydrogen
occupies a
close
enough volume to 27 cubic meters, which is very convenient for all of
those
gamers used to each square on the graph paper being ten feet on a side
(make the

decks ten feet apart).	It made it easy for Traveller GM's and players
to design
their own ships.

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays