Prev: RE: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:41:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses

From: devans@uneb.edu:

> The problems with finding independent universes seem pretty much of
two
> kinds: most folks at least get direction from a particular bit of
genre,
> and sci-fi's been around long enough that no matter how original your
> thinking appears, you'll get 'oh, you mean like...'

I see your point. Trek Purists might even call SFB non-genre. I guess I
was
really interested in and asking about universes that were at least
largely
independent of, shall we say, "mass produced" SF genres. Certainly SW,
Trek,
B5, and probably SAAB and HH count that way. Also certainly the "Space
Vikings" and a "Space 1889" universe (one I am thinking about, tho I
don't
have the original game anymore as source material) would be my
definition of
"non-genre"

>My own corporate wars idea
>seems far beyond what's in Tuffeyverse, and is probably closer to what
>you'd expect in the Aliens series, Moon 44, or to some extent, Outland.

Aliens is arguable Genre for Dirtside, even less for SG, but certainly
not
for FT - the ships were merely set environments for the action. The
other
sources you list, I would argue are too "small" and not fleshed out
enough
to define Genre specifics.

From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>

> The wierdest has to be the friend that wanted to run a game based
> in the "Uplift War" universe which David Brin wrote.	How the heck
> do you model something that can destroy you by disbelieving but
> could also destroy the ship it is on by doing the same?

The Uplift universe, and places like Vinge's "Fire upon the Deep" would
be
Genre (in my definition) if it's "rules" were more defined, but to me
they
seem open. As it is, hey are examples of primarily plot settings with
wierd
and wonderful tech effects around the character actions.

Noam

Prev: RE: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)