Prev: Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses

On  7-Jun-01 at 10:07, devans@uneb.edu (devans@uneb.edu) wrote:

> ***
> This brings up the related question: What other independent (Non-Genre
(ie
> Trek, B5, Galactica, SAAB, HH, SW), Non-Tuffleyverse Spinoff/Splinter)
> universes are out there for FT? The only one I know of for sure is
Kieth
> Watt's Exodus Project.
>
> If there's mre than 1 or 2, then perhaps an "Independent Universe"
list can
> be added to one of the FAQs or to the WDA.
> ***
>
> The problems with finding independent universes seem pretty much of
two
> kinds: most folks at least get direction from a particular bit of
genre,
> and sci-fi's been around long enough that no matter how original your
> thinking appears, you'll get 'oh, you mean like...'
>
> Some of the splinter/spinoffs seem to me to be more suitable for other
> universes; a few in Three Roses and A Lion, others in L. Ron Hubbard
books.

> Others could fit in several other universes. My own corporate wars
idea
> seems far beyond what's in Tuffeyverse, and is probably closer to what
> you'd expect in the Aliens series, Moon 44, or to some extent,
Outland.

> If anyone decides to do a laissez faire gone bad, robber barons gone
> monstrous universe, my sore-loser renegade Texaco Freetraders stand
ready
> to spoil anybody's cash-flow. ;->=

The wierdest has to be the friend that wanted to run a game based
in the "Uplift War" universe which David Brin wrote.  How the heck
do you model something that can destroy you by disbelieving but
could also destroy the ship it is on by doing the same?

Roger

Prev: Re: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays