Prev: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:21:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

One Traveller tonne = 14 cubic m IIRC. Each tonne of mass equated to
roughly 2 squares on the deck plans (the deck plans squares were
1.5mx1.5m and the ceiling height was given as 2m, so one square actually
had a volume of 4.5 cubic m. Two squares add up to 9 cubic m, the
missing 5 cubic m was explained away as space between decks, machinery
space etc).

They explained how a simple model/1 computer could mass one tonne by
equating it to a PC, which sits on a desk, next to which is a chair for
the operator. The table occupies one square on the deck plan, the chair
a second square - two squares, therefore one tonne of the ship is
occupied.

I suspect this was a case of inventing a story to fit the facts :-)

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

> I believe that Traveler used hydrogen displacement of the entire ship
> determine the mass of thier ships. I am drawing from memory of a game
that I
> owned and read as a teen (20+ years ago), but never had the chance to
play.

> What jogged my memory was, back then, trying to understand how a crew
> quarters that was mainly empty space would cost so much in mass. Once
you
> realize that it was measured against the mass of hydrogen
displacement, it
> was easier to understand. It includes the pressurized atmosphere, the
> materials used in construction, accomidations, and the personnel.
>
> -----
> Brian Bell
> -----

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer
Kuju Entertainment

Prev: [FT] Space Vikings, Independent FT Uuniverses Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays