Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

RE: Re: fighter bases

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Re: fighter bases

This is all aiming in a fascinating direction. We
all work better with pictures and colors than
dice, and this sort of system, properly refined
has the potential of making things much easier.

What about a post using maybe a dowel from a
craft store. Then a metal band around it with
1/6 of the side of the post exposed any one time
by a 1/6 sized slit cut in the metal band (perhaps
it's not quite big enough to fit around the dowl
entire. I'm thinking the things they put on pens
to attach to the pin that clips the inkpen to your
pocket. You could paint the dowel in colors from
red - orange - yellow - green - blue - purple.
Purple - 6 CEF's, red - 1 CEF. Or you could just
put numbers or perhaps both (number written on the
color). In user interface theory, multiple cues
reinforcing each other tends to make things more
resistant to error.

You could use just the number black on white for
the number of fighters represented by the counter.
No dice at all. One dowel could make two posts,
all we need is a source for the metal rings that's
fairly cheap. Paint or magic markers could write
the numbers on the posts or rub off lettering.

I wonder if your bead idea might be even easier
though. Colored beads, if you could find the
right sizes and colors could mount on a simple
pin or small nail to convey the same information.
It's harder to represent the number of fighters
this way though. Maybe a single long pin with
multiple beads on it that can be removed once
fighters are destroyed?

--- "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"