Prev: Re: Re: fighter bases Next: RE: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

--- Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:
... In
> Battlestar Galactica they seem to have cataputs so
> you may have a
> delay.

It kind of looks like every squadon has their own
set of launch tubes. This always looked to me like
just a way to rapid transit from the parking area
to the outside world rather than a catapult that
gets them to some safe flying speed (of course there
isn't any such thing in space). More of a visual
effect. They always seemed to launch their fighters
pretty fast. There was never a delay I can remember.

I will say that the Cylons were fond of flying out
of what the Galactica would call a recovery bay in
that they seemed to want to fly out of a little
bay in the ship one at a time. This would probably
be a *little* slower than the human method, but
in the context of the vague FT turn length, they
are probably fully launched within a turn.

Of course the real hazard in Cylon fighters is
that they're flown by committee ;-) And worse
by a pilot with one eye that goes back and forth.
No wonder the Vipers outfly them! Maybe to simulate
cylons we need a new class of fighters --
stupid fighter or committee fighter? I never did
figure out why it required 3 machines to fly 1
machine. Sure looked cool though. I always liked
the design better than the viper.

Prev: Re: Re: fighter bases Next: RE: FT-Fighters and launch bays