Prev: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: [OT] RP BT bases Re: fighter bases

Re: [SG] Reasonably balanced forces for quick games

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:34:48 EDT
Subject: Re: [SG] Reasonably balanced forces for quick games

> So, here's my first draft. Comments appreciated:
>
> NAC Fast Reaction Force
>
>	1 * PA Command Squad	(4)
>	4 * PA Line Squad	(5)
>	1 * PA Heavy Squad	(6)
>
> FSE Colonial Legionnaires Force
>
>	1 * Command Section	(4)
>	3 * Line Squad w/ APC	(7)
>	1 * Heavy Squad w/ APC	(7)
>
> UNSC Reaction Force
>
>	1 * Command Section	(4)
>	4 * Line Squad		(5)
>	1 * Heavy Squad 	(5)
>	1 * Heavy Weapons Team	(2)
>	1 * Sniper		(1)
>
> NSL Grenadiers Platoon
>
>	1 * Command Squad	(6)
>	3 * Line Squad		(6)
>	1 * Heavy Squad 	(8)
>	1 * Powered Squad	(6)

Well, my first thought is that the NAC PA platoon will be stronger than
any of the other forces. A PA squad is about equal to 1.5 to 2 regular
squads.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "heavy" squad, versus a "line" squad, so
that makes it a little harder to decide if it's balanced.

The FSE squad looks under strength, though the vehicles would help with
that. A lot depends on whether you have the vehicles attached to the
individual squads, or able to operate on their own.

The NSL platoon, with 4 squads + command squad + PA squad looks to be
the second strongest (after the NAC PA squad). The extra troopers would
be able to soak up casualties from the UNSC squad, for instance, and
that PA squad tips it way in their balance.

I suspect the NAC is significantly stronger than the other squads due to
being all PA. The NSL should defeat the UNSC (though that sniper could
cause problems), and the FSE squad is probably at a disadvantage against
the others. The UNSC versus FSE or UNSC versus NSL would seem to be the
most balanced.

However, each of these organizations can be balanced with any of the
others depending on what leadership and quality ratings you give them.
Veteran or Elite FSE Legionnaires against Green NAC PA would probably
result in an FSE romp.

>I'm
> currently envisioning a size 2 vehicle with light armour (maybe only
> armour 1) and not much more than transport space and an APSW (in
> Dirtside terms). The heavy weapon is likely to be a mounted machine
> gun or equivalent, POSSIBLY an antivehicle weapon, but unlikely.

If you aren't using other vehicles, mounting a SAW on the FSE vehicles,
or another support weapon, would work fine. Depending on the IAVRs and
GMS/P's out there, though, an APC with only level 1 armour will go "pop"
fairly easily. I usually make my APCs level 2 in the front and 1 on the
sides, and even they pop fairly easily.

Allan Goodall	  awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: [OT] RP BT bases Re: fighter bases