Prev: RE: Kinetic Shields Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:50:17 EDT
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:37:14 -0400 "bbell1@insight.rr.com"
<bbell1@insight.rr.com> writes:
>1. what do you lot like about some existing miniatures pages?
>- Indexes. Very useful for finding something that you
>  know you want to get again.

YES!  save me time and I might add a few extra figures to the order.

>- Categories. If you are just browsing or new to the
>  manufacturer, being able to zero-in on the genre you
>  want is nice.

Historicals by era/nationality
SF by 'race' and figure type (infantry, ships, AFV)
Fantasy by 'race' and background (Good/evil, Law/Chaos, etc.)

>- Pictures. A MUST! Some on the list prefer painted,
>  some prefer unpainted. Both would be the best. But
>  if I have to make a choice, I prefer painted but
>  with no "extras" that are not included with the
>  miniature. That is if the sniper does not come with
>  Ghille <sp> netting, don't show it with it.

Oh YEAH, #1 for me.

>- Scale (25mm, 15mm, 6mm, 1/300th, 1/2000th etc.)

Especially so you can see if they have the same figure in multiple
scales
(for the fanatics among us)

>- Prices. Duh.

I know a web site (who shall remain anonymous) who failed to put price
list in version 1.0 - double duh.

>- An idea of shipping cost.

And if credit card involves 'actual postage costs' - maybe I'd get one
then.  Nah.

>- Currency conversion. This is nice when dealing
>  across borderrs.

Or a link to a site for conversions, I have two bookmarked at work.

>- What's New section. Frequent visitors can find the
>  new stuff without searching the whole site.

Okay, that's cool.

>- List of conventions that they will attend.

Ooooh, I like that.  Maybe then Icould see them "live" and in the lead.

>- Physical address of the manufacturer (at least
>  Country and State/Provance/Region). So that you can
>  estimate shipping time.

I assume forever anymore.

>2. what do you hate?
>- No pictures. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! A description does NOT
>  cut it.

Preach it bro'!

>- No contact E-mail address.

Or one they don't use for customer inquiry - Foundry comes to mind.

>- Only one way to order (mail, fax, online, etc.).

I love options but since I don't do credit cards and I hate banks
charging fees for converting currencies (like they don't just do wire
transfers now days...)

>3. what should it contain?
>- Pictures. (Getting the idea?)
>- All the miniature line.
>- Contact info.
>- Ordering info.
>- A list of Restrictions [preferably none] (i.e. US
>  orders only. Visa/MC only).
>- Multiple ways to order (online, e-mail, fax, phone,
>  postal mail).
>- See response to question #1.
>

>4. what features would you like to see?
>- Pictures. (OK, I'll stop now)
>- Site Map. Sometimes things get obscured on an index.
>- Search. This would be a GREAT feature.
>- Out of Production miniatures. If a company offered
>  a miniature, but no longer does, it would be nice
>  to keep a list/gallery of these. Sometimes a person
>  is searching for an old mini and it would be helpful
>  to know that it is out of print, who made it, and
>  the old stock number.
>

>---
>Brian Bell
>bbell1@insight.rr.com
>http://www.ftsr.org/
>---

Nice work, Brian!

Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: RE: Kinetic Shields Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site