Prev: Re: GZG Email? Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers

[FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:32:10 +0100
Subject: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept

Ok, the WDA and all has got me thinking:

How about a 'weapon design system' that takes the tried and tested basic
weapon systems (Beams, K-Guns, etc.) and allows them to be customised
using a system of advantages and limitations (basic idea inspired by
Hero system).

For instance:

Range: Increase or Decrease range bands, however large ranges (>48mu)
should be discouraged (probably very small ranges as well).

Reduce number of fire arcs (for weapons which naturally have more than
1, i.e. SMs, PBLs)

Add (or remove) PDS capability (either limited, like Class-1 beams, or
full, like Pulsars)

Reduce MASS but increase COST (Miniaturisation - a form of this is
already in the WDA)

Increase MASS and reduce COST (Maximalisation, also in the WDA)

Burnout - every time the system is used, it must make a threshold check
or be damaged, or even destroyed (variations include either fixed
thresholds or based on current damage level)

Backlash - use of weapon has chance of damaging ship

Ignore screens - for weapons that usually don't

Doesn't ignore screens -for weapons that usually do

Penetrating - half vs. armour for weapons that usually don't

Extremely Penetrating - like K-guns, for weapons that usually don't

Non-Penetrating - for weapons that normally penetrate

One-use/Single shot - the system can only be used once

Limited Used - the system can only be used a limited number of times
(probably has a magazine - like SML)

Slow rate of fire - the system needs a turn to 'recharge' after being
fired (like PBLs)

Unpowered - other systems cannot be used on the same turn that this
system is used (tricky to work out - getting into B5wars territory)

Exclusive - most other systems cannot be used on same turn that system
is used (like vapour shroud)

Hardened/Fragile - system is less/more susceptible to threshold checks
(I'm putting this one in for discussion purposes - personally I'm
worried that both options are heavily abusable - for instance - putting
fragile systems onto small escorts that probably won't survive the first
hit)

Other limitations - like 'needs FTL drive charged', anything else I've
missed.

Well, if anyone else feels a need for such a system (which, if done
right, should ensure that initial designs at least have their MASS in
roughly the right value - playtesting will still be needed for anything
likely to see serious use) - we need to work out some figures - I've got
some that I'm working on that I'll probably post in just over a week
(going away next week).

Well - anyone else think there is a use for this (once developed)?

Charles

Prev: Re: GZG Email? Next: Re: Maritime Strike Bombers