Prev: [SGII] Leader Loss above Squad Level Next: Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space

Re: [SGII] Firing while still

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 30 May 2001 08:20:44 -0700
Subject: Re: [SGII] Firing while still

On Wed, 30 May 2001, "Richard Kirke" wrote:

> It strikes me that there is no advantage to staying still as you fire,
 so
> defensive fire and attacking fire have the same level of
effectiveness.

I see what you mean. Moving while firing should give you a disadvantage.

I think that SG2 is aimed at less detail. The game turn represents
anything from 30 seconds to a few minutes. Moving and firing isn't
necessarily firing while moving. It could be short dashes, some fire,
and another short dash. Or it could be half the squad moving while the
other half fires, then vice versa. There's a lot abstracted into it.

It would make a good house rule, though, to give defensive fire from
unmoving troops an advantage. In the FMA Skirmish game there is an Aim
action that doubles the range bands of the weapon. This is probably a
bit much for Stargrunt.

I suggest an Aim action for SG2 that decreases the range by one range
band. I suggest it as a separate action, because I don't think this
bonus should just be for moving. For instance, troops that spend their
first action removing suppression and then spend the second action
firing shouldn't get the same bonus as units sitting still, unharmed,
for an entire turn.

> What about allowing one of the dice to be rolled twice taking the
better of
> the two values if a squad uses both activations to shoot at an enem
targtet?

If you decide to go this route, I wouldn't just make it "any" of the
dice. I would make it the quality die. Roll the quality die twice, and
choose the best of the two. Would you allow vehicles the same benefit?
Most vehicles today can fire on the move fairly accurately. In the
future there will probably be no difference if the vehicle is moving or
stationary.

Would you allow troops with special weapon stabilizing gear to move and
fire as though stabilized? I'm thinking, in particular, Power Armour
here.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: [SGII] Leader Loss above Squad Level Next: Re: morale/parked command in SG2 and ESM in space