Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: [SGII] Firing while still

[SGII] Leader Loss/ Leading from the Front

From: "Richard Kirke" <richardkirke@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:24:05 -0000
Subject: [SGII] Leader Loss/ Leading from the Front

Hi,

Well I have stirred things haven't I! I have been away doing exams
otherwise
I would have posted earlier.

Leading form the front

In SGII the massive advantage of being able to automatically transfer
orders
(when within 6" of the squad) is so useful that I tend to want my
command
squad relativiely near the front (usually behind a peice of cover near
to my
point of attack). In real life, I don't imagine it is particularly good
for
morale to see your commander skulking at the back (morale modifier?) and

better still to see him up there with you.

As for the Para's in the Fawklands, IIRC the commander who was killed
because he led an attack from the front (also known as being stupid) was

declared dead during an exercise a month or so earlier, this was
untimely
and ill-advised behaviour, not heroism. What he in fact did was to
deprive
his troops of a commander for rather negligable gain. In fact the 2IC
asked
the enemy to surrender, and they thought that he must know something
that
they didn't, and did so. The Para's have had a good deal to prove since
then
and very little chance to do so until that covert raid recently
(Somalia, I
can't remember).

I don't think that it is advisable in the hi-tech warfare for the
commander
to be in the front line, he has too high a chance of being killed
(Unless he
is 12ft tall where's a large banner on his back is armed with a "Power
Claw"
and a Super-Mega-Blaster-cannon with chainsaw bayonette at which point
he
probably should be!).

Just FYI I do not know that all the fact above are accurate, I have no
intention of insulting or offending anybody (particularly Paras! I have
an
imense respect for all those in the Brittish armed forces, in particular
the
Army), I do not know if the Para engagement that has been mentioned is
the
same as the one detailed above, but the one above did occur. My
information
source is my father, who is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Artilery
(he
is not here and does not check my spelling, sorry I know it is
terrible).

Leader Loss:

If you read the rules and take them purely at face value then the loss
of
any unit leader invovles a Confidence Test at threat-level 3, an extra
suppression, and then a new commander is appointed. This is very harsh,
and
has problems like did they all know, BUT if the Sgt screams over the
radio
"F**** the LT bought it" then I wouldn't start chearing!

Perhaps if the LT or other commander does buy it, anyone within 6" is
takes
it like there own commander is dead, anyone who gets in Radio contact
with
the command squad then they take a less brutal test, and before any
orders
can be transferred, the test must be taken. This is something along the
lines of what Jon Tufley began to make up when I asked him.

BTW thanks for the reply about Support weapons.

_

Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: [SGII] Firing while still