Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

Re: Leading from the front, reprise

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:37:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Leading from the front, reprise

On Tue, 29 May 2001 01:53:36 -0400 (EDT), Ryan Gill
<monty@arcadia.turner.com>
wrote:

>These weren't poor in-experienced units. Not on Omaha
>beach. They were veterans from Sicily, North Africa and
>Italy. Command broke down.

Not according to Ambrose. The majority of troops at Omaha were
inexperienced.
They were very well trained, but new to combat. It was thought that
troops
that knew what they would be up against would be more likely to
hesitate. I
don't have my books with me (most are packed in a storage locker) but
this
point was made clear in Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day".

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)