Prev: Re: Sensors Fr: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Leading from the front, reprise

Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:21:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm)

On Tue, 29 May 2001 11:14:16 -0400 (EDT), Ryan Gill
<monty@arcadia.turner.com>
wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken the General in question repeated the
>same routine over several days at roughly the same time. An
>enterprising Confederate Sniper saw this, firured out the
>distance and determined the amount of Hold off and
>elevation he would need to hit something at that distance
>and on the morning that the stupidly repetative general
>observed the lines from the same position he was taken down.

Ummm... no.

It happened, as I mentioned in another post, to Major General John
Sedgwick,
of the Union Army, VI Corps. It happened on May 10, 1864, as Sedgwick
was
directing artillery positions. This was in the opening moves of the
Battle of
Spotsylvania, part of Grant's Wilderness campaign.

Sedgwick was reassuring his front line troops that they were outside of
Confederate range when a musket ball hit him below the eye.

He was not a "stupidly repetitive general", and was an able commander
(one of
Grant's better commanders).

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Sensors Fr: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Leading from the front, reprise