Prev: FT-MT Missile warheads Next: Re: Orbital Cannon

Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

From: "Robert W. Hofrichter" <RobHofrich@p...>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:26:58 -0400
Subject: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

Now for some calculations (simplified):

A tank gun shoots a round with muzzle velocity in the 1000 m/sec range
(see "Modern Land Combat" but Miller and Foss).  A gun barrel is say
appx 5 m long.	Assume (for the sake of serious simplicity) that
acceleration in the gun barrel is constant.  The acceleration that the
projectile is subjected to should be about 10,000 g (100,000 m/sec2).
Please notice that I'm using conveniently rounded figures.  Also note
that we are talking about a "dumb" round--the guided missile rounds
generally have fairly low velocities (gun-wise).

>From way back when, I seem to remember something about 7miles per
second being the escape velocity for earth.  Let's see, a kilometer is
about 0.6 miles, so we are talking about 11.7 km/sec.

This is significantly greater than 1 km/sec in the tank gun example, but
not unreachable.  Furthermore the acceleration, assuming a purpose-built
gun, can be applied over a much longer barrel length (say a buried,
limited traverse gun or a railroad carriage piece).  A 12 meter barrel
should be able to throw stuff into orbit (if all of the above
assumptions are correct) and not subject its "package" to any more
stress than the tank round previously mentioned.

>From this, I think you can begin to see that barrel length is VERY
important to the solution.

I'm sure Oerjan can come up with better numbers--and probably has the
data on how fast the guided tank rounds come out of the barrel...

Rob