Prev: Re: thanks for the help on washes Next: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

FT-MT Missile warheads

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:54:51 +0100
Subject: FT-MT Missile warheads

I was just thinking about a comment someone raised (forgot who) about MT
missiles could (notice the COULD) use laser heads instead of nukes. This
think is likely, due to the fact the nuke if making a direct contact
(highly
unlikely) would vaporise any warship built, and a near miss would have
most
of it`s effects mitigated by the ships sheilds, which don`t degrade MT
missile hits. I say this because for the sheilds human ships mount would
have to have a very high gauss field to effect direct fire partical
weapons,
and the earths magnetic field is strong enought to redirect the high
energy
particals released from the closest local nuclear reaction in our
vicinaty.
A ships magnetic field wouldn`t be as powerful as the earths (of
course),
but they would be very dense due to having a smaller volume to enclose,
which should have some effect on any nuke detonating close to a
starship. A
laser warhead, on the other hand would only have to detonate close to
the
ship, and the chance of some of the beams hitting (thinking of multipul
emmiters from one bomb) and some missing would also explain why the
dammage
would be randomised (die roll) and a ship being able to survive. Another
idea I had would be to alter the dammage at different ranges from the
ship
targetted, to represent the chance of more beams hitting at closer
ranges.
For example, at 3 mu=1D6, 2 mu=2D6, 1 mu=3D6.

Just another one of my hair brained ideas <G>.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: thanks for the help on washes Next: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration