Prev: Re: DS/SG vehicle construction Next: Re: DS construction questions

Re: MT Heavy Missiles and Ship Defenses

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: MT Heavy Missiles and Ship Defenses

--- Shawn M Mininger <smininger@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good point, although I thought that MT heavy
> missiles
> only need to be within 6 inches of the target?  I
> don't remember them needing to be in front arc
> either,
> although that's probably just my bad memory.

We're getting into the fuzzy world of different
books covering different systems. Back when MT
missiles were invented it was 6" (same as fighters).
When vector movement came along (which my group
plays) Salvo missiles and fighters got cut down
to 3" because it's harder to maneuver with vector
movement. So, our group plays 3" for MT missiles
too (Perhaps someone from GZG could comment). MT
missiles aren't covered in the Fleet book except
for their cost to place on a ship.

I think you'll find the missiles move cinematically,
turning up to 2 points in the middle of their move,
and have to be able to see the enemy out of their
Full Thrust V.1 forward arc (that was when there
were 4 arcs rather than 6). I don't have the book
with me at the moment so I can't check to be sure.

There are always a few house rules you have to
come up with for MT missiles since there isn't
really enough information in the book to tell
you what to do. You don't know how type 1 beams
work against them, whether fighters can shoot
them down, whether a fighter stands a chance of
being blown up when it is doing so, and so on.
Hopefully this will be resolved in Fleet Book 3
(but it should have REALLY have been in Fleet
Book 2!).

> Heh heh well, I was talking about 12 per ship, we
> usually play 3000-5000pt battles so I could take
> 5-10
> missile carriers with 12 missiles a piece....that
> would be a lot of missiles!!

With the Savasku, I'd not tell him what I'm doing
(Savasku deserve what they get) and I might just
launch the whole crowd and then ftl out. That way
you'll preserve your fleet and may even get him.

Frankly the Savasku are so powerful (especially
in customized form) that you're probably playing
the Kobiashi Maru scenario every time, so try it
and let us all know how it goes. Should surprise
him anyway.

Here's another tactic I've thought of (but haven't
tried). Create corvettes with one 4 point weapons
package (plenty on the net -- the strikeboat). Then
make only 1 in 6 this ship. Make all the rest empty
corvettes (banzai jammers maybe 9 points each).
You should be able to come up with a LOT of
corvettes. With 5000 points, that's 61 squadrons
with 1 strikeboat and 5 BZ's. That's 370 corvettes.

Then see if he can destroy all of them before you
show up at his door and hit him with a load of
submunition packages or needle beams or whatever.
Probably still won't work, but it's just something
I toy with in my darker moments.

Prev: Re: DS/SG vehicle construction Next: Re: DS construction questions