Prev: RE: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:13:37 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

> Maybe there's stuff I'm not remembering about
> the games I HAVE played (maybe some of them use
> this strategy too and I'm just not remembering
> them). I've played Starfire, Star Fleet Battles,
> FASA Starship Combat Simulator, Starbattles,
> Interceptor, Silent Death, Battletech, Centurion,
> Fast Attack Boats, Task Force's Battlewagon,
> and a few others.
>
> Seems like most of those have pretty simple
> structure in the combat phase. Like I said, maybe
> I am guilty of having a selective memory. How
> many of you have played games where fire is
> non-simultaneous and units are eliminated before
> they fire in say space/sea battle/tank sorts of
> games? What were they and how did it seem to
> work?

Besides phased movement and combat, I think initiative based movement
has to
be considered too.  When one side is forced to move a ship first and the
other side can then move some ships out of arc of the first ship and
others
to center-line their fire on the first ship, its effect as as least as
great
as initiative fire where ships fire before others and destroy some
before
they can fire.

Personally, I think ship movement has some delay and can not be changed
too
quickly during battle and this is better represented by pre-plotting
while
moving some ships after all others based on where they went is less
'realistic'.  Targeting on the other hand has a better reaction time and
thus can be changed based on what has happened earlier that turn.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/

Prev: RE: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire