Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re :A question of etiquette and focus

Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

--- devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> Yes, the dice initiative system with it's
> alternating
> ship fire system is the one in the rules, and we're
> pretty much all stuck with it.
> ***
>
> No, you're not.

I have to play what the group wants to play. I'm
stuck with it (most of the time). In fact if just
one person demands we play "by the rules" we
pretty much have to.

> I would argue the apparent unreality you've
> described is actually a balance
> for the unreality of shooting at the end of the
> move. If you want 'real',
> try phased movement and firing. *shudder*

Well, I'm not aching to go back to SFB 31 phase
move/fire. That deserves a shudder. I don't know
what I'd do to address this. Simultaneous fire
probably. Maybe every ship having an initiative
and firing by reverse order of their initiative?
Seems complicated too. I don't want to complicate
up the system. Since simultaneous fire actually
speeds things up, I tend to prefer it.

> If your friends don't want to do simultaneous,
> because that's not the way
> it's in the book, not the way it's in the rules,
> have you considered new
> friends for this game?

It's not annoying enough to adopt this strategy.

> However, it sounds like some pretty much have a
> decided preference. It
> sounds like you want to US to tell THEM they're
> wrong. No thanks.

It wouldn't matter to them what you guys said.
But it matters to me.

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Simultaneous Fire Next: Re :A question of etiquette and focus