Prev: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew Next: RE: [FT] Earthforce Sourcebook - Babylon Project

Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

From: Kevin Walker <sage@b...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 03:22:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

on 5/9/01 18:10, Bif Smith at bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk wrote:

> Thats why I suggested increasing the cost of the power generators from
what
> is originally given. The changes to the original ships would be easy
and
> quick to do, and would make super SV ship designs less overpowered
when
> playing against equal points values. If combined with the other
sugestions
> (range bands, etc), it would give the effect of the limit on the mass
used
> in power generators (without the artificial mass limit on the power
> generators). Just my sugestion.

Respectfully, wouldn't changing the cost of the power generators
possibly
through the ships in FB2 out of balance with the other published ships
then.
Granted currently the SV can use a single Stinger node to channel any
available power, an advantage to be sure.  An artificial mass limit on
generators can hopefully be avoided, but I see it as a better way to go
for
the moment.

Let's compare costs a little.  I'll use 3 class 2 beams and the
equivalent
amount of dice generated by a single stinger node.  If I make a mistake
or
three I'm sure someone will point it out.  ;-)

Human side:
3x Beam 2				      6 mass
    cost including Basic Hull		     24 cost
Mass needed indirectly for 4 MD & FTL	    1.8 mass
    cost including Basic Hull		    5.4 cost

Total cost (not including shielding or other percentage systems)  29.4

SV side:
Stinger 				      2 mass
    cost including Basic Hull		      8 cost
PG needed to duplicate 3x Beam 2	      6 mass
    cost including Basic Hull		     18 cost
Mass needed indirectly for MD & FTL	    1.6 mass
    cost including Basic Hull		    4.8 cost

Total cost (not including shielding or other percentage systems)  30.8
*** this doesn't take into account the additional energy needed for
movement

If the cost of the generators is changed to 4 points per mass the total
cost
of the SV stinger equivalent to 3x Beam 2's becomes 42.8, an increase of
over 40%.

Overall it might balance out super ships that have been optimized but it
appears from a quick glance and limited analysis that it could throw FB2
SV
designs out of balance a bit in some cases.

All in all I believe part of the problem with monstrous SV ships is
similar
to that of designing any monstrous sized ship for any race.
Specifically
the ability to fire all your offensive power near or at the beginning of
the
fire phase (assuming sequential fire), limit the loss of fire power due
smaller threshold lines, having your defenses cover all of your assets
at
once, etc...   Gigantic ships tend to be more efficient for the same
point
cost I believe regardless of the race and technology, however the SV
range
advantage makes this even more problematic.  Just my conclusions though.

Kevin Walker
Horizon Concepts, Inc.
Macintosh / Windows Development

Prev: DS2/SG2 harminization - replies to Brian and Andrew Next: RE: [FT] Earthforce Sourcebook - Babylon Project