Prev: RE: OT: Oceanography stuff Next: Re: DS II Battle Report

Re: [SG2] topography

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:55:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [SG2] topography

----- Original Message -----
From: <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 7:59 PM
Subject: [SG2] topography

> I'm looking at a SG game (my first, aside from GZGECC) using a map
with an
elevation change of about 100ft in 250 meters.	Infantry appear to treat
slopes as "clear" so no move penalty, but we know that reality doesn't
work
that way.  I've seen an orienteering page that suggests the time for
gain-in-altitude of 10 meters is the same as adding +100 meters to the
linear distance.  If we do that, then a 10ft (~3m) gain in altitude
would
cost 3" of movement.  Going downslope should clost something too, I'd
think.
>  Opinions from the SG2 crowd?

Th 10m heigth/100m distance ratio seems about right (from what I
remember
from hiking in Switzerland). For simplicity, make going downslope the
same
as upslope. In fact, on steep slopes, it's harder to go down than up, on
gentle slopes it's the other way round.

Though I guess all ths applies mainly to long distances, rater than the
short spurts typical of skirmish games

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: OT: Oceanography stuff Next: Re: DS II Battle Report